- They prevent oxygen from damaging other molecules.
- They can slow the aging process.
- They boost your body’s natural defense /immune system, combat heart disease and other diseases.
- They also protect our cells and function in foods to protect oils from damage that can lead to rancidity.
- Man-made antioxidants, like BHT and TBHQ, are used because sometimes natural antioxidants throw off flavors of foods we know and love, or because a certain antioxidant might perform best with a certain food.
- One type is used over another based on performance – for example TBHQ is often used in fryer oils as it is more stable at higher temperatures than BHT, thus preserving these foods more effectively.
- Natural and man-made antioxidants are sometimes used together in our favorite foods.
Disclosure: This post is for informational purposes only and I make no health claims in my opinions.