My WAHM Plan is proud to partner with Craftsy.com. This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation should you decide to enroll in a class with Craftsy.com. However, I love crafts and recipes and would happily offer their services to you for free.
Did you know that Craftsy has lots of free recipes? Try out these recipes with one of our FREE cake decorating classes!
Old Fashioned Buttermilk Cake Recipe
Posted by Mike McCarey
- 1 cup (240 ml) butter (two sticks)
- 2 cups (400 gm) sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (325 gm) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 gms) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 gms) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 gms) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. Beat until creamy.
Pour into cake pans and bake at 350°F (177°C) until golden brown and cake springs back to the touch.
Cool in pans 10-15 minutes before removing from pans.
When cake is completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until use.
High Altitude Adjustments
- Increase flour to 3 cups, decrease baking soda to 1/2 tsp, and decrease baking powder to 1/2 tsp.
- Bake cake at 325°F for 25-30 minutes.
- This recipe makes 2-8 inch round cakes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and will visit Craftsy.com to learn more about all their free recipes and classes.2 Comments »