Archive for December 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Our Pond Winter 2010
Tomorrow is the official 1st day of Winter and I couldn't be happier! Not because I love snowy, blustery days. Not because tomorrow is the shortest day of the year and I can start counting the days until spring arrives. Not solely because of the joy and happiness the Holidays bring.
No, finding my happy with this season most all of us dread, required some thinking.
Just reading the definition of winter puts me squarely on team anti-winter. Look at those Synonyms and you'll see what I mean.
The coldest season of the year, in the northern hemisphere from December to February and in the southern hemisphere from June to August. Adjective:
(of fruit and vegetables) Ripening late in the growing season and suitable for storage over the winter. Verb: (esp. of a bird) Spend the winter in a particular place: "birds wintering in the south".
verb. hibernate. wintry - hibernal - winterly - brumal . cold
While slathering on extra strength hand lotion last night to ease my drying hands ( that only get worse each day of this season), I decided to make a list of all the reasons I have to be happy and thankful this winter. If you are on team anti-winter, maybe a list is in your future too!
1. The girls are on Winter break from 12/21/11 until 1/5/12. Just having them home all day makes me smile! I enjoy their company immensely.
2. Getting end of year business tasks done feels good! Don't dread the shred is my motto as I clean out my filing cabinet and start a new storing and organizing method.
3. Dry skin gives me a good excuse to try new lotions! Maybe I'll write a review or two.
4. Christmas at home. Just the four of us. The girls in their new jammies all day. Traditions. Love. Harmony. Peace. Jesus. Food. Smiles. Laughs. Santa.
5. New Year. New Beginning. New Ideas. New directions. Wiping the slate clean is a good thing on so many fronts.
6. My youngest daughters birthday.
7. New cabinet jobs for my hubby. He's at his happiest when he's making sawdust.
8. New friendships. I've been invited to join some local groups and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to broaden my circle.
9. Free time. I have more of it in this season. I get crafty, I read more novels, I log on much less, I daydream about spring and how to design my flower beds, I laugh and sing and play with my kids more. I stay up late and watch sci-fi movies or talk and laugh with my hubby more. I connect more.
10. I have a really good feeling about 2012. Deep in my bones optimisim. The last few years have been hard and stressful for so many of us. Most of us truth be told, but I am a firm believer in the power of a Positive Attitude.
I am happy Winter is here because it forces me to slow down, think, be more present and in the moment.
Sure the weather outside may be frightful, but I'll welcome spring well rested and refreshed.
Happy Winter, Merry Christmas and Happy, Happy Holidays one and all!
I am so very thankful for all of you who read, comment and visit my blog.
Please let me know what you are thankful and happy for this season!
Monday, December 12, 2011
Torani flavored syrups are part of San Francisco’s heritage. With handwritten recipes from their Italian hometown, Rinaldo and Ezilda Torre introduced Torani syrups to San Francisco in 1925. In the back of their grocery store, they pressed fruits, nuts and spices, blended extracts with cane sugar and water in redwood vats and then fine-tuned the flavor. A true labor of love that has paid off for Torani, now the # 1 brand of flavored syrups in America, offering over 100 flavors.
I tried the sugar free Vanilla in my coffee first, adding 1 oz. to my coffee as instructed on the bottle. The aroma was inviting and I couldn’t wait to try my morning cup, but yikes, was it ever sweet! Perhaps an ounce is for a venti. I’m slowly learning to use the vanilla syrup properly, it is delicious, and my daughters love it full strength in their café au lait.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
5 Comments »
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
|What my daughters really want for Christmas|
Maybe another kitty is in order.
Are you giving a pet as a gift this year? 7 Comments »
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
| Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies|
You are going to love these simple, yummy cookies! Our plate didn't look like that for long.
The very best part is this is a no egg recipe so your kiddies~ and you can eat the dough!
Stir up a batch of fun and happy memories today with your family. Enjoy!
The Basic Chocolate Chip Drop Cookie
I've also baked up a few dozen Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies which turned out really well I think in large part because I used dark brown sugar.
What is your favorite cookie recipe? Please share! 4 Comments »